Friday, February 19, 2016

My Two Cents Worth

Every four years I get a really bad taste in my mouth.  I've often wondered what the cause is but the reality sets in and I cease to wonder.  It's Presidential election season, again!  I usually try to avoid entering the fracus.

As I was driving down I-485 this morning I was amazed at what I was hearing on the radio.  You probably heard it as well.

First, the major news story of the day was a confrontation between Pope Francis and Donald Trump.  Apparently, Pope Francis commented on Donald Trump's Christian faith.  The Donald's response was, "For a religious leader to question someone's faith is disgraceful.".

As a Pastor, I have to say,  " That's my job."
"If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained."
1 Timothy 4:6 KJV
Paul wrote these words instructing Timothy in his responsibilities as Pastor of the church in Ephesus.  Part of God's purpose for Pastors is admonishing and exhorting the flock over which God has given him charge.  Someone who is truly Christian would understand this because the Holy Spirit would have revealed it.  There is a difference in calling yourself Christian and being Christian.  One is a label.  The other is a relationship.

Then, another candidate was quoted as saying, "I have my faith and it is important to me.  Whether or not Donald Trump has faith is none of my business.".  Again, I was surprised.  Jesus, who is the one who saves, said just the opposite.

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:   Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.".  Matthew 28:19-20 KJV

The very nature of faith in Jesus Christ makes whether or not people I know have faith every bit my business.  It is my only business.  Every other part of life, by necessity revolves around my faith.

Now, you may be asking why this is important.  Jesus said it best.

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.  Matthew 7:21 KJV

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.  John 6:29 KJV

Remember when you get to the polls.

No comments:

Post a Comment