Friday, December 11, 2015

Why I Decided to Start Writing a Blog

"And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labor among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; And to esteem very highly in love for their work's sake.  And be at peace among yourselves."  I Thessalonians 5:12-13

I grew up in a church whose pastor was bivocational.  He was a painter and worked very hard to provide for his family.  At the same time, he made time to prepare three sermons a week, to teach the teen Sunday School class and to minister to a congregation of 20 to 40 people.

I can't tell you how many times over the 42 years he pastored that church that he was criticized for not giving enough time to the church.  When he retired a few years ago, the church was still a congregation of 20 to 40 people.  Many of his critics blamed him for the church's lack of growth.

Over the last 13+ years I have become all too familiar with what he went through.  I have been a bivocational pastor since 2002 and I have gained a firsthand appreciation for the struggles, the perils, the fulfillment and the joys of bivocational ministry.  It is my hope and prayer that in writing this blog, I will be able to share that with you and in some small way help you know me better and give you a glimpse into this "One Pastor's Heart".  May God bless us both on this journey together.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading your blogs! Eddy and I praise the Lord for you and Cathy!

    ReplyDelete